Ideas sought for 1st floor of academic library

Wanted! Innovative suggestions for a library's first floor! We have a
30-year-old building and intend to change presentation of services beyond the
standard wall-mounted or free-standing directory format. We cannot change the
exterior walls and push out architectually but want to have a "presence" on
the first floor pointing to departments located on upper floors, such as the
GIS Lab and Special Collections. Exhibits, while useful, don't do it.

Your experiences, and all ideas, even untried, are welcome.

Many thanks.

Carolyn Davis
<cadavis@library.syr.edu>
First Floor Assessment Action Team