Re: Current dpi standard for scanning photographs

        Here is a factor you may want to consider when deciding on a dpi
standard. Magazine art directors (that have published my photos and
articles)now ask for all photos to be scanned at 300 dpi and 6 inches wide
format. They may be in jpeg format. (This size can easily be emailed
directly to the magazine-no postage or disks to send)
        It did not appear to be high enough resolution to me but the results
of publishing some 50 photos, both black & white and color in this format,
produced very clear and sharp photos in the magazines, much to my surprise.
        Significantly, I was able to scan over 750 8 x 10 black & white
photos into a file that totaled under 100 Mb! At least I know they are
publishable in this format. They all fit on one 100Mb ZIP disk. Of course
now they go onto CDs.
        In photos of aircraft, for example, I can open these images and
clearly count the small rivets on the airplane skin and even read the small
military printing on the plane, on my computer screen.
        If you use this small res format, they will be of use to current and
future writers and historians who plan to publish the work. And researchers
will be able to view fine details.
Cheers,   Joe Gertler