Revisiting Nicholson Baker - Survey Results (LONG)

Thank you to everyone that participated in my survey about the impact of
Nicholson Baker's book "Double Fold" on their institutions.  Below is a copy
of the survey with the results.  In addition to the eleven answers, I also
received to prose only responses.  The "additional comments" section was quite
lengthy and provided quite a bit of insight, and I've included excerpts of
those as well.

Dawn Marsh

1. Have you had to respond to reactions to Baker?s book by researchers and/or
the general public, especially considering the use of microfilmed newspapers?
If yes, how?
No ? 9
Yes - 2
?There was an article on Baker's book in a local newspaper, and after it
appeared I received several questions about our policies. We have always
retained originals where possible, microfilming only for access purposes, but
I have had to reassure people about this. One elderly lady who had donated her
papers called and offered an addition to the collection. But first she wanted
to know if we had kept her papers, or microfilmed them--the implication being
that it was either/or. After I assured her that we always retain original
documents, she gave us the additional material."

2. Have you had to defend your preservation decisions, especially decisions to
reformat materials, to library administration?  If yes, how?
No ? 11
Yes ? 0
3. Have you or your institution reexamined the selection criteria for
preserving original materials?  If yes, how?
No ? 11
Yes ? 0
4. Has Nicholson Baker?s book affected any digitization projects at your
institution?  If yes, how?
No ? 11
Yes ? 0
5. Has your institution halted microfilming projects as a result of the
publication of Double Fold?
No ? 11
Yes ? 0
6. Have you or your institution been involved in a critical look at the
history of microfilming and the Brittle Books Program?
No ? 9
Yes ? 2
7. Have more or less funds been made available to your institution for
preservation since the publication of Double Fold?
More ? 0
Less - 1
Same - 10
8. Do you feel the publication of Double Fold has brought attention to the
library and archival professions and the preservation of the materials they
house from those outside the profession?
No ? 5
Yes ? 6
9. Additional Comments:
?Even though I don't agree with much of what Baker says, I'm so glad he
wrote the book because I think it reminds people of the existence and
importance of special collections and archives.?

"No one here has mentioned the book.  No policies have been changed of which I
am aware, nor have I personally been affected or involved in any discussions
of the book or the policies at issue.  I'm certainly aware of the debates
concerning digitization, microfilming, preservation of various formats, but
I'm an advocate of the belt and suspenders approach wherever there is money."

"Personally I'd like to see microfilm used as a back up preservation medium
although I prefer digital surrogate. MFM totally sucks to use however and does
not obviate the need to retain the original. Guillotining unique volumes in
order to speed filming is rightly unacceptable. But there are many issues here
and to quote Gore Vidal, "more than one side to a pancake."?

"HOW can ANYONE even THINK of THROWING AWAY old newspapers for which room had
already been found, when some of those old newspapers contained writings by
people who later won the Pulitzer Prize??

"Though most of us grind our teeth when we hear Baker's name,
I do think these issues are worth thinking hard about and discussing. I
expected a good deal of debate within the library/archives community. What
really astonished me was the level of interest among the general public.
Although there are many misconceptions out there, I find it heartening that so
many people care about our resources to this degree."

"Baker's book did not cause one ripple in our mission or procedures.  We did
not get one comment on it from our patrons or administration.  What Baker
got from us were casual sneers over our coffee breaks."

"I can't say that I speak for all small shops in rural
areas, but I don't believe that Baker's work has much of a general effect on
small shop realities, or the understanding / awareness of preservation issues
amongst "regular folk" in the hinterland."

"Baker's book has not really reduced the number of such projects, which is
good,
given many of the deteriorating originals-- particularly newsprint from the
19th
and early 20th centuries that we are handling on a continuing basis.
It is always wise for institutions to re-assess their methods and choices."

"Obviously people outside the profession who have read Baker's book (and
it would be interesting to know how many general readers the tome
attracted) must have thoughts on it, but none of my archivist friends
has reported meeting any of them.  So although the general public may
consider the work a good read, this may not translate into any kind of
active interest in or advocacy of changes in preservation programs."

?Preserving a representative sample of original material in necessary.?

"I think that perhaps not enough time has elapsed since the appearance of
Baker's book for there to have been any chartable changes in the way we
archivists do our jobs, even if we do consider some of Baker's insights
to be valuable."

?Outside of the field, users seem to be clamoring for instantaneous,
digitized, web-based access, with little concern for preservation.?