Re: Interesting Article in Chronicle of Higher Ed.

Yes, it was an interesting article, although it made one want to know more
from both sides of the issue, since there are the accusations of the
historian being engaged in sloppy research as well as about the kinds of
agreements a researcher might think he or she has for using and quoting
from the records found in an institutional archives.  The author of the
Chronicle leans a bit, in my opinion, in suggesting that the institution,
the Bryn Mahr School in Baltimore and the publisher, Johns Hopkins
University Press, were being a bit over-sensitive to the scholar's work,
almosting suggesting that the School really wanted an official history and
that the Press was caving into pressure.  It is a fascinating read, and
one that every archivist might want to take a look at (the Chronicle is
one of the best reporter of academic and publishing news and trends in
disciplines out there, for the money).  This kind of reporting is fairly
typical and quite valuable.

Richard J. Cox
Professor
Department of Library and Information Sciences
School of Information Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Voice:  412-624-3245