EAD and MARC summary

Thank you to all who replied to my question about the implementation of
MARC AMC and EAD.  There were only a few responses, but I think they were
interesting.  Smaller institutions tend to solely use MARC with the hope
that one day they may also be able to also implement EAD. Due to lack of
staff and time, EAD is too cumbersome for implementation right now for
these institutions.  EAD is used by larger institutions who are looking to
place information about their collections on the Web.  Some of these
institutions also use MARC and link the two systems, but others are marking
up finding aids directly without first creating MARC records.  There seems
to be some confusion about how MARC and EAD are "supposed to" be used and
if it is necessary to use both standards together or if one can be chosen
without regard to the other.

I hope this information is helpful to others who are thinking about
automating.  I am sorry not to see more discussion about this topic on this
list.  I think it is a very important part of our profession that is highly
misundertood.

Melissa Mannon