Digital Images

Hello,

I've been doing some research prior to digitizing our collections, and I've
know that images are typically created in TIFF format and then derivative
images are created for web database. I know that there are very good
reasons for using the TIFF format (longevity, flexibility, easy migration
etc).

My question is, are there exceptions to the rule? Have people found any
situations in which high quality master files aren?t needed? Perhaps for
cost-related reasons, speed, temporary web-exhibits etc? Or perhaps just
due to the nature of the collections. As an example, do I really need TIFF
images of every newspaper clipping in every collection?

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Trina