FF: Telemarketing and Archives

I know so many older folks who are so frustrated with
evening telemarketeers and daytime folks, that they simply
do not answer their phone.    They will sit there and listen to
the answer machine get it and then come on line.    That has
prompted me to be a lot more patient when I call donors,
or return reference calls or work with individuals associated
with organizations whose records we have.

I practice two things:  (1) let the phone ring at least ten rings --
some people set their answer machine on eight rings and others
may be using walkers/canes to get to the telephone;  (2) whether
the person or the machine answers, give your name and organiza-
tion, telephone number, and request -- AND give these clearly,
slowly (not too slow).    I can't believe the number of messages
I get which start "Hi, this is Jeff, give me a call at @@@-@@@@" and
I don't know this person.   Of course we are a public access library
so I have to return the calls, but it would be nice to know WHICH
Jeff/Susie/Tom, etc. called.     I have also gotten long and interesting
reference questions where the person failed to leave a phone number.

My favorite call was from somone named Mary who wanted to know
the value of her old coin.   I dutifully returned the phone call, found
an operator answering "<name withheld> Mental Health Facility" and
I quickly found out there were quite a few Marys.     Yesterday I was
trying to track down a former alumni and when I called the number
given to me by the Department (from their older records)....I got a
"Huh!" ... sorry I can't induce the inflection here but it was a cross
between "Sure you would!" and "Fat chance!"    Turned out to be
the phone number of the ex-mother-in-law.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338