From: Arel Lucas [mailto:lucas@LIBRARY.UCSF.EDU]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 2:14 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: FF - Telemarketing--Plea for Forbearance

I agree.  I know it's funny to make fun of telemarketers, and of course I'm
as irritated at them as anybody, but I once took a job doing that when I
was very young and out of work.  I also cut them off now as soon as
possible.  I try to be courteous unless they are obnoxious, because I've
been there myself, in just such a "boiler room."  It's hard to hear or even
to think in such a place.  Sometimes it's necessary for us as recipients of
such calls just to make ourselves heard over the din.

I was let go because I wasn't aggressive enough.  But I had an experience
I'll never forget.

Arel
Arel Lucas
Tobacco Control Archives
Library and Center for Knowledge Management
University of California San Francisco
http://www.library.ucsf.edu/tobacco/