Re: FYI: Future of voice recognition

Since we are talking about voice recognition software,
I wanted to let you all know of something I've been
working on in my spare time.

I've had some experience working with people who can't
see well, including myself!  Some of the researchers
I've worked with cannot see the maximum magnification
on a new microfilm reader, which makes each character
about one square inch.  This saddens me each time I
see it because these researchers are serious about
doing their research.  So I decided to delve into the
problem a bit...

I found a freeware program from microsoft called
"ReadPlease" and downloaded it from
http://www.winsite.com/  The program is large--the zip
file is 8MB.  I installed the software and it worked!

What ReadPlease does is allows a person to cut and
paste text into the program's dialogue window.  Just
like a VCR, you click on "Play" and the software will
read the text for you.  I've experimented and found
that it reads all English words I can find, even some
hard long ones, though it trips up a bit on
antidisestablishmentarianism. :)  But it works well!

Now all I need is a job where I can put this to use
somewhere on a trial basis and use it for a study of
some sort.  Anyone got a job for me? ;)

Russell D. James, M.A.
Milton, Florida, USA
youngarchivist@yahoo.com