ms cataloging

In our ongoing effort to re-con our paper card catalog into our online
system using MARC and APPM,  an issue that keeps coming up is how
collections (mostly single item "collections") were named and cataloged in
the card catalog before MARC-AMC and APPM, and which now are incompatible
or incorrect by APPM rules.  For example, in the past a letter to Andrew
Jackson by John Q. Public would be called the Andrew Jackson Letter rather
than the John Q. Public Letter.  Since Public is the creator, it correctly
would be cataloged:

100  Public, John Q.
245  Letter
600  Jackson, Andrew ...

But if a collection has been cited one way and then it's cataloged another,
that makes it difficult for researchers to locate.  In an RLIN project in
the past, this issue was handled by retaining, in the above example, Andrew
Jackson Letter as the preferred citation in the 524, which still is
confusing for patrons, I think.  How have other repositories handled this
issue?

Many thanks,

Tara Zachary
Assistant Curator for Manuscripts