Re: Collection Removal

As an example, some years ago one of our city's oldest grade
schools was converted to a multi-facililty as a "Center for the
Arts."   Students who met certain criteria and enrolled were
brought to this school one day a week from schools all over the
county for a variety of academics and arts, often several levels
beyond their age.    As one of the oldest grade schools (1920s-1960s),
there was a collection of PTA scrapbooks; inside the scrapbooks
were original photographs from the building and dedication of the
school, activities through the years (I really enjoyed the scrap
drives of world war two)....roughly 20-25 scrapbooks.

The principal of the new school contacted me and asked if we
would take them since they sat out in the open on shelves in the
hallway and she was concerned about loss.   I took these scrapbooks
and they were used by students doing school histories, history fairs,
university students researching impact of World War II on the town,
etc.    The principal would not sign a deed of gift because as she put
it, "they were not hers, but belonged to everyone."

Ten years later, a new principal of this school (remember, it is no longer
a grade school) contacted me and asked if the scrapbooks could be
returned.   I was hesitant knowing how important historically they were,
but after talking with our library director, and without a signed deed of
gift, the director directed me to return them.

About a year later, I had an opportunity to return to that school, and
saw about four scrapbooks sitting on a shelf in the hallway.   I just
casually asked the secretary about them and she remarked "Oh we had
a whole bunch, but folks have stolen them."   That school was closed
last year due to 'budget cuts' and I never found out what happened even
to the few that were left.

Obviously the morale is "Dean, get that agreement signed" ... but a more
typical moral is everyone loses when historical materials are scattered
to the winds.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338