Re: Archives in literature

Hi Holly,

I know that Arlene's wonderful paper or some variation of it was published
in the American Archivist. Arlene may be able to give you an exact
citation.  I believe that Frank spoke from off the top of his brilliant
head but he may have notes. I think he or I can dig up a list of the film
clips shown but I know they included Smilia's Sense of Snow, Citizen Kane,
A Star Trek Next Generation, Mr. Bean in the Library, Wishbone, either
Chinatown or some similar Jack Nicholson film and a film with Sean Connery
where Liz Torres is the Librarian and flirts with him. I don't seem to
remember much discussion about the book The Archivist unless it came from
the audience. I know I had not read it in time for the presentation.

It is also possible that the company that does the taping may have a copy
but I'm not sure if the session was taped.

Hope this helps.

Danna

At 11:54 PM 5/9/2002 -0400, Holly Hodges wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:29:32 -0400, Linda Most <
most@KRAVIS.ORG> wrote:

>Last year at SAA in Orlando there was a session called -- "Get
Newman
>for the Part" The Archival Image in Contemporary Fiction -- .  The
>presenters listed in the program were Danna Bell-Russel, National
Equal
>Justice Library; Frank Boles, Clarke Historical Library; and Arlene
>Schumland, Utah State Archives.
(snip)

Danna, Frank, Arlene?
I've checked the SAA site and it no longer has information re:
conferences prior to 2001.  Is there a way to get a copy of this paper/
presentation/panel?

I missed part of the panel, and would appreciate any notes from those
in the audience.  I'm particularly interested in commentary on Martha
Cooley's  _The Archivist_, the part of the session I missed.

My daughter (high school senior) is interested--seems the AP
Literature class has this on their reading list to finish up the year.

I've run a search on the list, but  I'd really like to find more on the SAA
presentation.

And yes, she'll be getting a copy of _The Archivist_ as marked up by
an archivist.  My copy.

Holly Hodges
Texas