Get Martha Cooley for the Part

Hi Danna/Holly/Frank/all.

The session was not taped.  Which is ok by me since I was sick with some sort of bronchial distress that day and doubt that I was audible on the few occasions I managed to interrupt Frank.  ;-)

I have very strong opinions regarding _The Archivist_ and Cooley's portrayal of archivists but I don't feel competent to give you a broader literary critique.  I was laughing hysterically before I even got through the first of the first chapter (and I quote): "To graduate students I am something like a god, indispensable and unavoidable, keeper of countless objects of desire."

Nice job if you can get it.

I could go on (and have, for hours) but Holly, if you want more specifics on my issues with this book--and again, these are solely with the portrayal of the archival task--email me directly.  If you want a broader critique, I really liked Daniel Traister's discussion of it on his webpage at: http://www.english.upenn.edu/~traister/touts-1999.html
It's a fairly lengthy page, once you get there you may want to do a browser keyword search for "Cooley."  But the whole thing is enjoyable reading.

Arlene Schmuland