Music for SSA CIMA

Country vs. Western

Although sometimes spoken in the same breath, there are major differences between country music and western music. Our band, the Millennium Cowboys, will educate us Friday evening, but until then, here's a starter. You can meet the band at
http://www.millenniumcowboys.com/media.htm

If there is such a thing as the Perfect Country Song, David Allen Coe says this little ditty may well be the winner, because it has most of the required ingredients (which I underlined).
Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train

When I think country, I think of the masters: Johnny Cash (Right ON!), George "Possum" Jones, Loretta Lynn, and all those folks on the Grand Ole Opry.

If you're familiar with Rex Allen, Marty Robbins, Roy Rogers and The Sons of the Pioneers, you have a start on understanding western music. Great western songs include (They Call the Wind) Mariah, Streets of Laredo (especially by Rex Senior), Tumbling Tumbleweeds, and El Paso.

Of course things get mixed up with some regularity, so here comes the Orange Blossom Special carrying Bob Wills and Bill Monroe.

So bring your voices so you can sing along, pull on your boots so you can dance, and settle in for a great time.

Michael McColgin
Local Arrangements Committee