Tobin files order for hearing on permanent home for city archives

Via
http://townonline.com/metro/roslindale/politics/36638433.htm

   May 16, 2002

   Political notes
   John Hickey to kick off campaign for state representative...

   Tobin files order for hearing on permanent home for city archives

   District 6 Boston City Councilor John Tobin filed an order on
    May 14 for a hearing to review the feasibility of moving the
    City of Boston Archives repository to a permanent location at the
    Ropewalk Building in Charlestown.

   " I recently had the privilege of holding in my hands many historic
     documents including one signed by Paul Revere, while touring the
     temporary home of the City Archives in Hyde Park, " said Tobin.

   " It is important that the city of Boston find a permanent home for
     these historic American treasures.

     I believe that the movement of the archives repository to the
     Ropewalk Building would be suitable because it will preserve the
     heritage of Boston municipal government since 1630 and give a
     visible and accessible history to the residents of Boston and
     tourists while maintaining the history of the Ropewalk Building
     and Charlestown Navy Yard.

     In addition, this movement will open up a much needed school
     building for our children in the Southwest Boston region. "

   The city of Boston Archives has been in a temporary home, a former
    Boston public school, at 30 Millstone Road, Hyde Park, since 1989.

    The Archives and Records Management Division of the City Clerks
    Office administers it.

    By law, the archives must protect and manage all recorded
    information of the city of Boston for city and general public use.

   Anyone who has questions for Tobin can call his office at
   617-635-4220

   or e-mail
   John.Tobin@ci.boston.ma.us

   Tobins office hours are
   Monday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and
   Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at
   Boston City Hall, One City Hall Square, Boston.

   In addition, Tobin has Parkway office hours on
   Fridays from 7 to 9 a.m. at
   Annas Donuts, 2056 Centre St., West Roxbury, and

   Jamaica Plain office hours on
   Thursdays from 7 to 9 a.m. at
   JP Licks, 659 Centre St., Jamaica Plain.

   email this story to a friend
http://townonline.com/metro/roslindale/politics/36638433.htm