Re: CD Longevity

I have my old DOS-based 486 sitting on a small stand in the corner of my
office - has not only a  5" drive, but also a Bernoulli box (Zip drive
precursor).  It hasn't been plugged in for over 5 years, but seems I can't
bring myself to deaccession it....

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://alaskaminerals.wr.usgs.gov

                    Margaret  Monroe
                    <Margaret_H_Monroe@D        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    OT.CA.GOV>                  cc:
                    Sent by: Archives &         Subject:     Re: CD Longevity
                    Archivists
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    05/30/2002 07:12 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Margaret_H_Monroe

I wonder why anyone would be concerned about archival CD-ROMs.  Technology
changes so fast that no one can guarantee that in only 10 years you will be
able to easily find a working machine that will be able to play present-day
CDs.  Example: anyone on this list have a computer than can handle 5"
floppies?   And I read that there are only two machines in the world that
can read the punched tape that the 1960 US Census data is stored on.

We all must migrate our data onto the current storage system.

Margaret Monroe

State of California Department of Transportation
Structure Maintenance & Investigations - Toll Bridges
District 3
District Office, Room 10 - 400
P. O. Box 23660
Oakland, CA  94623 - 0660