rants and what not

Randal Luckow writes, "Now, when I interview I feel I MUST ask candidates
if they've ever actually processed a collection!"

One might assume that you would also ask some of the following questions:

Do you understand appraisal?

How would you be an advocate for an archives program?

Explain the reference function?

What are the key elements of an archives program?  How do you approach
management of such a program?

How are preservation/conservation issues integrated into all archival
functions?

How do you define a record?

What are the critical aspects of electronic records management?

And, I could go on, BUT the point is, a graduate archival education
program is not merely about "processing" archival records.  It is about
equipping invidivuals to be experts about all aspects of records and
recordkeeping systems.

Richard J. Cox
Professor
Department of Library and Information Sciences
School of Information Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Voice:  412-624-3245