Re: taking inventory of artwork

I feel your pain.

My institution also has an extensive art collection scattered all over campus, displayed in all kinds of inappropriate and dangerous environments, and consists not only of paintings and sculptures, but also ecclesiastical objects, furnishings, textiles, metals, ceramics, you name it.

I am in the middle of doing an inventory, but it's one of those things I don't think I'll ever finish.  I also can't find some of the more valuable items, and have no idea where they could be.

Anyway, I created a form, and want to create a database, to collect information.  After doing several of them, here is the information I would collect:

Artist
Title
Medium
Date
Location
Provenance
Description of Work (measurement inside frame or on back), markings both front and back, signatures, etc.)
Description of Frame (outside measurements, measurements across, type, condition)
Conservation Treatment Required
Conservation History (including dates, names, treatment)
Value (include dates of appraisals or documentation of research)
History of use at institution
Relation to institution
History of work (if known)
Information on artist

I would make the fields expandable, because even something that seems to be straightforward, like artist or title or date, may have long explanations and alternatives.

I am fortunate in that I have several inventories to which I can refer from 1960 to 1994, but no one here was ever qualified to administer the collection, so I don't know if I'm passing down incorrect information or if they had appraisers in to clue them in.  There is very little documentation of acquisitions or appraisals.

It's easier to have two people do it, especially if one has been around the school for a long time and can give you a little background, but I've also done it by myself.

My advice is not to make up anything or guess; if you find out something later you can always go back and fill it in.

If you would like a copy of my form, let me know and I will mail it to you.  Unfortunately, I did it in WordPerfect, and, when the campus switched to Word, it did not convert well at all, so I can't send it as an attachment.

I also have folders for each work of art, but you have to know either the artist or title to find them, which is why a database would be invaluable.  I also have a folder for each artist, and file clippings and other information I gather from various sources, including the web.

If you have any other questions, or anyone can offer any more advice, please let me hear from you!

Rebecca Fitzgerald, CA
Mt. St. Mary's Archives & Dept. of Special Collections
Mt. St. Mary's College & Seminary
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
301/447-5397
301/447-6868 (fax)