microfilm vs. off-site storage

Hi all!

Just got out of a meeting with my supervisor and I think we may finally get
the microfilm reader/printer we've been wishing for (long before I got
here)! My supervisor's angle is that it would be cheaper to microfilm what
archival material we can to maximize the usage of the limited space we
have, as opposed to housing it off-site. Has anyone done a comparison study
that would like to share their information? We have some microfilm already,
but no reader/printer. This seems like the perfect opportunity to address
several issues in one foul swoop (getting stuff microfilmed rather than on
CD; easier for researchers b/c can look at microfilms on site rather than
going down the street to the public library; etc.). I just need some
figures to prove it is more economical. :)

Once again, thanks for your collective wisdom! :)

Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly, Archivist
United Church of Christ
700 Prospect