Help: Antique guns

Hello!

We have several antique rifles (late 1700s - mid 1800s) and one Colt
revolver (1860) in our collection, and I need advice on caring for them.

Can I use modern gun cleaning supplies (powder solvents, etc.) or would this
be too corrosive?  What about modern gun oil?  Right now only one rifle is
in any type of protective case.  Are modern hard-shell gun cases a good
option, or should I be looking at something else?

Thank you very much!
Jennifer

 Jennifer Gregory
 Curator, Special Collections and Archives
 Northern Kentucky University
 (859) 572-5863
 gregoryj@nku.edu