Niels Bohr Library
301/209-3179
http://www.aip.org/history/

>>> Glenn Smith <GSmith@LVA.LIB.VA.US> 06/05/02 04:16PM >>>

From:   Glenn Smith <GSmith@LVA.LIB.VA.US>
Sent:   Wednesday, June 05, 2002 4:16 PM
To:     <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Subject:        Title Targets for Digital Imaging Projects?

Please excuse the cross-posting.

At the Library of Virginia, we are piloting a couple of projects to
determine the feasibility of utilizing digital imaging of court records
(current back to 17th cent.) and then converting the images to microfilm for
permanent retention and security.  The goal is to have the microfilm still
meet Virginia state standards for preservation purposes.  My questions to
those who have undertaken these types of projects (especially those
resulting in reels of security microfilm): How do you place title targets
into the digital record?  Are they similar to the beginning and ending
targets used on a roll of microfilm?  How have you addressed the potential
legal issues of documenting authenticity and custody?  Have you developed
any options to the use of targets?

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

- Glenn

Glenn T. Smith                             Phone: 804.692.3604
Preservation Grants Administrator            FAX: 804.692.3603
The Library of Virginia            mailto:gsmith@lva.lib.va.us
Preservation - For All Generations    http://www.lva.lib.va.us