From: Dahlstrom Neil [mailto:DahlstromNeil@JOHNDEERE.COM]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 11:46 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Vacancy Announcment, Archivist, Women's Collections,GA
State Univ

I took a position three years ago fresh out of grad school for less than
that. I had a terrible time getting my foot in the door and pay really
didn't matter. My options were several full time internships at no more than
$1000/month, or a job that payed only $20,000 annually. And the job was in
Fairfax County, VA, the county with the highest cost of living in the
country. After a year of living in someone's basement I'm pleased to report
that I've survived, so it can be done (although it was not always the most
pleasant experience!!!)

And yes, I thought the pay pathetic, but it got me to where I needed to go
at the time.

Neil

Neil Dahlstrom
Reference Archivist