Salary rants

Some folks stand in line to volunteer at museums, historical sites, and
archives because they rightfully see the work as interesting, fun, and a
benefit to society.  Fewer folks line up at nursing homes, animal shelters,
and soup kitches because the first two conditions seem to be lacking.

I am not suggesting that volunteers are capable of administering an archive
program, nor do I think any reasonable person would consider a middle
management position to be filled by a volunteer.  But volunteers do fill a
niche in many facilities in the "heritage" industry and, with some training,
are capable of performing many of the individual tasks involved.  Tour
guides, docents, exhibit preperation work, sorting, filing, typing...all
these support activities are things which volunteers can do well.  They are
also the same tasks that we, in understaffed and undersupported small shops,
are expected to do as well as the heavy lifting.

Bottom line....if you are getting paid to do a job many talented people are
willing to do for free, your profit is fantastic.

Kim (done his fair share of free labor) Scott