From: Margaret Yax [mailto:MYax@CINCYMUSEUM.ORG]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 8:37 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Vacancy Announcement CORRECTION

I, too, made the assumption that the .5 fte was probably what was wanted
even though the 40-hr. week statement did confuse me at first.  Based on
that assumption, I agree that $17,000 to $22,000 is pretty well within
reason for a half-time professional archivist.

All these recent posts about this job, however, made me wonder why no one
questioned or gasped in astonishment at the jaw-dropping low salary recently
posted for the Head -- HEAD, mind you -- of Special Collections at the
University of Nebaska Medical Center.  I don't remember the job description
exactly now, but seem to recall that duties listed were all fairly typical
for a one-person head of special collections from cataloging and stewardship
of large rare books collections to management, reference, organizing, etc.
etc. archival collections.  All for the fantastic full-time salary of
$30,000!!  Now that one really is a crime in my opinion.  It says volumes
about how much the institution values these collections.  I can't imagine
that anyone with the experience and knowledge required to curate such
collections with so many duties would be willing to accept what is, in some
places, a salary lower than an entry-level librarian or archivist.  Makes
the upper end of the half-time position -- $22,000 -- seem not bad at all!
I know geographical differences apply, still I think $30,000 for the Head of
a Special Collections is an insult.

Sorry to add to the rant with my opinions, but that one really got me.

Maggie Yax, Archives Manager
Cincinnati Museum Center
Union Terminal
1301 Western Ave.