C & U Archivists and videotapes.

Hello--I have some questions for C & U archivists regarding videotaping
campus events.
We have a media services department that is responsible for videotaping
campus events.    (They are also responsible for maintaining classroom
equipment..., but do not offer any sort of production services,editing, or
scriptwriting)  The original purpose was actually to document campus, much
in the same way some campus photographers do.  The videotaping service
actually used to be offered through the archives, but as is the way with
such things, has been restructured into the Information Technology
department.     When it was an archives service, all tapes automatically
came to the archives, which would make use copies when necessary.  They
videotaped graduation, convocation, speeches, concerts, talent shows, alumni
weekend--you name it.  Over time, they began to tape things at the request
of other departments, while continuing to deposit everything (I think) in
the Archives.  The archives doesn't really have any say in what they tape,
or even basic quality things.  With the restructuring, I would like to set
up some basic guidelines for the sorts of things we a) expect of the
videotapes, and b) we would like to see taped. I am looking for suggestions
of what sorts of things we might like to ask of them.

What are other (liberal arts colleges) campuses collecting?  Events, outside
speakers, panel discussions, sports games...?
Do you have technical requirements for the tapes?
Does anyone have any suggestions for how we might use this resource wisely,
even though we no longer have direct responsibility for their work?

Any and all responses are welcome.  I'll post to the list if it seems
warranted.

Elizabeth B. Scott
Archivist
Library and Information Services