From: Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S. [mailto:lufte@MAIL.UPSTATE.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 8:24 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: candy in collections

Xiamen Lee wrote:

> As most of us know Coca-Cola used to be sweetened with
> real sugar, now they use corn syrup.  Certainly, this
> must have changed the taste some.

It certainly did!!! Not for the better IMHO. The texture got heavier and
thicker and the flavor was
no longer so clean and crisp. That happened around 1973, as I recall.
Coca-Cola was invented by an
Atlanta dentist to disguise the bitter taste of cocaine, which he used as an
anesthetic. I imagine
that the taste might have changed when they took the cocaine out too, but I
believe that was before
my time ...        ;->

Then, of course, there was the "New Coke" fiasco of the 1980s. What is
"Classic" Coke

Cheers!

Eric

--

Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S.
Curator of Historical Collections, Health Sciences Library

"Be always sure you're right, then go ahead."
                                          -- Davy Crockett
                                [Autobiography, 1834, title page]