sticky stuff on book

I have been cleaning a set of books titled Pharmacopoea Nordica. One of them
has some kind of sticky stuff on it that will not come off. It's looks like
syrup and is sticky and shiny. I have tried my Magic Rub eraser which
generally works really well for getting off the adhesive from spine labels,
but this did not work. Does anyone have any ideas on something that I can
try that will not damage the book? The book is a little dirty, but otherwise
in very good shape and I want to save it. My only other idea is to put it in
a box to protect the other books from it. Thanks in advance.

Barbara M. Pope, MLS
Reference Librarian
St. Louis College of Pharmacy
4588 Parkview Place