Subject terms for race

I have posted this question to the museum listserv.  Someone suggested I
post the question to this listserv as well.

I am the coordinator for an IMLS museum-library collaboration grant.  We are
using three controlled vocabulary lists:  AAT, TGM1, and LCSH for providing
subject access.  We are cataloging World War II shipyard materials, so
gender and race are important issues for the stories of the work force and
for our community.  The policy for applying race access has been discussed.

Do you usually identify the race of people in your documents when you
catalog them.  If so, do you identify the race of everyone or only that of
selected persons?

Is anyone applying the controlled vocabularies I mentioned?