Re: Archiving websites

It all depends on what you mean by capture...  If you are trying to archive
static content, just "tar" up the files from the webroot, on unix/linux, or zip
up the files, on windows.  The benefit of tar, (I don't know about zip), is that
you can search the contents of the tar file.  This is great if you are looking
for specific information from a certain page.  This is more difficult with a
dynamic site, as the specific, probably most important data is actually
contained in a database.  Therefore, you will need to take a snapshot of the
database at the same time as you tar/zip the files up from the webroot.  It
shouldn't be expensive, unless there is something outrageous that we need from
these files...
--
Shannon Eric Peevey
 Computer Systems Manager