Re: Dissertation paper stock

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, STEVEN P. FISHER wrote:

>  For C & U Archivists :
>

>   A question for those of you who have not yet gone completely over to
> electronic dissertations ( which I assume is still the majority ). One of
> our catalogers tells me that students at our institution are having
> problems securing paper stock for dissertations because the government is
> now using a very similar stock for currency production. This was the
> first I had heard of this. Has anyone else had this problem, and where do
> you direct students for paper now?
>

>  Steve Fisher
>  University of Denver

Is the University of Denver worried about "counterfeit" dissertations?
:-)  If not, why would they require using paper that's similar to
currency stock?  I've never done an acid test on paper currency, but
if it's not acid-free, that would be a more important consideration
than anything else I can imagine.

We require that the paper be acid-free and white, but we've never
considered adding any further restrictions to the kind of paper that
can be used.

It came to my attention a few months ago that most ordinary
photocopier quality paper is now acid-free.  I verified this with an
acid testing pen and our standard photocopier stuff *is* acid-free.
If this is the case generally, then specifying a particular brand of
paper wouldn't help the situation.  The primary considerations should
be acid-free and minimum substance weight.

I'll bet that "similar to currency" stuff is quite expensive, and what
additional benefit does anyone get for it?  I'd be interested in
hearing from anyone else on this subject also.

James Stimpert                       ** PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING:
Archives (Arts and Sciences)         E-mail:    stimpert@jhu.edu
MSE Library
Johns Hopkins University             Voice:     (410) 516-8323
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD  21218                 Fax:       (410) 516-7202