From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of Georgen@nha.org
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 5:25 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: User fees from the user?

Okay, this is a new one on me.

When someone or some publication wants to publish one of our photographs, we
charge them a use fee according to a clearly stated schedule, have charges
for photographic reproduction, and have written policies about citation
format, have a written policy about sending us two copies of the published
work, etc. We have it all laid out, just like every other repository.

Well, today, a magazine sent US a contract with THEIR use fees and policies.
Not surprisingly, their policies state that they're going to use our image
freely in their widely circulated magazine, on their website, and in other
publications for one small fee.

Can't fault them for lack of chutzpa, I guess.

Has anyone else had this happen? Has this become normal and I missed it?

Georgen Gilliam
Curator of Library & Archives
Nantucket Historical Association
7 Fair Street, Box 1016