From: Holly Hodges [mailto:FHHodges@AOL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 4:01 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Historic Virginia tunnel

http://www.newsadvance.com/MGBB7Q9923D.html

... not real RAIN (Virginia's drought hasn't subsided yet from what I hear)
but today's Lynchburg (VA) paper has an article about the Blue Ridge tunnel
through Afton mountain.  It was built in the 1850s by Claudius Crozet, and
figures significantly in one of Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie's novels about
the Charlottesville area.  Rita Mae Brown has done excellent work in
portraying the area's local history (consider her _Murder at Monticello_)
and
her research shows well how seriously she considers her subjects.

Unfortunately, most of my RMB/SP novels are back home in VA, and I don't
right off recall which one deals with Crozet's tunnels, but those of you to
whom I've recommended her work please feel free to help me out on this!

Holly Hodges
(native Virginian)