the Waltons

Hey now, I thought Earl Hamner went to the University of Richmond.  John Boy wen
to "Boatwright College," which I assumed was based on the University of
Richmond, with Boatwright Library and Boatwrigth Drive, named after an early
president.

:-)

Holly Hodges wrote:

> I responded to Sharon privately, before realising this went to the list
> (I'm set to nomail and monitor from the archives)
>
> Earl Hamner, originator of the Waltons, was the real "John boy" and did go
> to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.  He was from Schuyler,
> Virginia, just south of Charlottesville in Nelson County.
>
> Harry Harristeen, postmistress of Crozet, Virginia, is a fictional creation
> of Rita Mae Brown and her cat Sneaky Pie.  Crozet is a real community in
> Albemarle County, VA, located somewhat north and west of Charlottesville.
> My father took a picture of the Crozet post office so Mom and I would be
> able to prove its existence (unfortunately this photo is back home in VA).
> UVA's Special Collections has some of Claudius Crozet's engineering
> reports, etc, and some correspondence, too.  Crozet was for real, but my
> father didn't take a picture of him.  RMB's book re: the tunnels is _WIsh
> You Were Here_ and Crozet's correspondence figures significantly in the
> plot.  Be forwarned, you must be able to handle the premise of cats and
> dogs talking with each other (but not with the humans!).
>
> Holly Hodges
>
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:28:59 -0400, Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S.
> <lufte@MAIL.UPSTATE.EDU> wrote:
>
> >Sharon asks:
> >
> >> Isn't Afton Mountain area where the Walton's, of TV fame, lived? Were the
> >> Walton's for real, or imaginary folk?
> >
> >And where is Wolverton Mountain, where Clifton Flowers lived???    ;->
> >
> >Eric

L. Rebecca Johnson Melvin
Special Collections
University of Delaware Library