Re: Special Funds

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:18:28 -0500, Dean DeBolt <ddebolt@UWF.EDU> wrote:

>I have used these funds to supplement our normal budgets.  In short,
>they provide the special funding when a something comes out-of-the-blue
>from a dealer, an auction, etc.
>
>I have been asked to come up with a "collection policy" for such a fund,
>even though I have argued the purpose is to have funds for unique
>items as they become available, and I cannot predict that, say, this
>year we'll spend 50% on Civil War items and 50% on Spanish Florida
>letters.

First of all I think it is a good idea to have such a policy statement in
place so that no one can accuse you of malfeasance or misuse of the funds.
That said I think that your 'policy statement' should be in line with or
support of your current collection policy. Keep it broad so that you don't
become hamstrung, but not too broad such that a successor could purchase
say an item that is remotely and tangentially related to Florida. A
narrowly defined policy statement may hamper your collection efforts.

Good luck

peterk