private college art policy

I recently asked the list for advice on doing an inventory of art on campus
and got a lot of good suggestions. As I prepared to start the inventory, I
learned that we have no policies re: art owned by the university. I am
hoping that similar colleges and universities - we are a small, private,
church-affiliated university - have simple, straightforward policies that
they would be willing to share.

This isn't a collection policy; rather, it's a policy for dealing with art
donated to the university, as well as purchased by it. We'll also need
corresponding procedures to carry out the policy. I'm thinking of something
like this:

All artworks donated to the university, as well as purchased by the
university, are the sole property of the university. They shall not be moved
or disposed of without the express permission of the [possibly the
library/archives].

Our ultimate goal is to prevent artwork from disappearing and to be able to
locate a specific item when requested. Obviously, we hope no one will steal
anything, but we also want to prevent careless assumptions that an item
isn't worth anything or not worth salvaging if it is damaged.

I'm also wondering if institutions are specific as to art, or if it's lumped
together with university property as a whole. If your college has any kind
of policy that would address our concerns, I would appreciate learning about
it. If I can draft something workable for us, I have the support of one of
our vice presidents to help make it an official policy.

Sincerely,

Laurie Langland
Project Archivist
Layne Library, Dakota Wesleyan University
Mitchell, SD