Re: Strange Reference Questions

Shelly's note reminds me of one of my stupid reference
answers!   I got a telephone call asking about whether
Lafayette had ever been in Pensacola.   After doing some
research, I was able to determine that the Marquis de
Lafayette had toured American and came as close as
Mobile, Alabama where a ball was held for him.    George
Walton's wife (George had been a Signer of the Declaration
of Independence) was then living in Pensacola, and since
the Marquis had known the Waltons, there was some
correspondence about bringing Mrs. Walton to Mobile, but
her age and health made it impossible, and she sent her
granddaughter Octavia Walton LeVert to Mobile.

Anway after eliciting all of this, I called the person back
and they said "Lafayette?!   I was asking about Lafitte!"
(Jean Lafitte).  <you have to say these with strong Southern
accents>

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338