Re: strange reference questions

Some years ago when I lived in England, and before I became a librarian, I
was puzzled greatly by Kangaroo Butter which I had found in the Safeway
Store north of London (Safeway was popular in the UK back then). This was my
first real foray into a British grocery, and I was familiarizing myself with
the popular Heinz foods, the cereals, the yummy Cadbury chocolates, etc.
Well, I was quite puzzled when I saw this butter in the dairy case. I am a
farm girl, and I had never heard of kangaroos providing commercial butter,
although, of course, the females nurse the joeys with milk. For the life of
me, I just couldn't see kangaroos coming into a milking parlor, standing for
milking machines to be slapped on, let alone producing enough milk to make
this all worthwhile.  However, I had great faith in the printed word. There
was even a logo of this jolly kangaroo....I was puzzled. A few weeks later,
I ventured into the same store, again examined the dairy case to see if I
were dreaming, but there it was, kangaroo butter.  My curiosity got the best
of me, so I had to ask the cashier about this. She told me it was just a
brand name, out of Australia. For all I know, she is still laughing about
the Yankee that asked such a tom-fool question!

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Ste C212