From: Wohleber, Lynne [mailto:wohleber@PGH.ANGLICAN.ORG]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 11:44 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: An early Friday Sort-of Funny

I will be doing an archival preservation presentation to a genealogy group
next week.    I have designed a two-part program which will include a
PowerPoint presentation as well as handouts.   I've created a handout
entitled "The Twelve Commandments of Genealogical Archiving" which I now
share with you for your Friday humor.   I'm sure you can think of more to be
added, but this ought to at least get them thinking  ........

THE 12 COMMANDMENTS OF GENEALOGICAL ARCHIVING

1. Thou shalt not keep thy Treasurers in the basement nor attic of thy
dwelling if thou canst help it;

2. Thou shalt not keep thy records in a room without UV protection lest the
words on thy documents and faces on thy photographs fade away to obscurity;

3. Thou shalt provide adequate air circulation for thy treasurers that they
may not break out with  mold nor mildew;

4. Thou shalt not leave rubber bands around thy 3x5 cards, nor thy documents
nor anything else that is in thy collection, lest they stiffen and bake
themselves onto the paper, obscuring the information forever;

5. Thou shalt remove all metal fasteners lest thy documents become marked
with rust and hasten disintegration;

6. Thou shalt not laminate ... Thou shalt consider encapsulation instead;

7. Thou shalt not keep thy photographs nor any other items in albums with
sticky backings and polyvinylchloride sleeves .... Thou shalt reformat into
acid-free albums instead;

8. Thou shalt not leave thy newspaper clippings next to documents in thy
files lest they leave a yellow acidic mark; Thou shalt reformat on acid-free
paper and/or wrap in acid-free buffered tissue instead;

9. Thou shalt  have no food, nor beverages, nor pens around thy collections
....  Thou shalt remember to vacuum thy treasurers to prevent untold
problems.

10. Thou shalt not do thy research with unclean hands;

11. Thou shalt organize thy collection always by the rule of Provenance, and
by Original Order when possible, or by artificial order when not possible;

12. Remember thy collections to keep them dry, cool and safe that their
contents may enrich the lives of thy coming generations forever.

Lynne F. Wohleber
Archivist
Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh
325 Oliver Avenue