Re: Hmong and food

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:16:41 -0400, Sylvia J. Bugbee <sjbugbee@ZOO.UVM.EDU>
wrote:

>Yes, and frankly, I feel uncomfortable with the derisive tone of these
>messages about the backward Hmong and their silly views on canned food.

I saw/read nothing derisive in the postings. Rather what I read was how we
have to change our perceptions when dealing with folks from a different
culture, when helping them to enter our melting pot. Next time you go to
the supermarket/grocery store, take a careful look at the cans that line
the shelves from the viewpoint of the Hmong.

>Before making such comments, people might want to venture into
>Thailand--or any other so-called "Third World" country--and attempt to
>make heads or tails of the food offerings at local markets there.

well not only the heads and tails, but everything else in between too!
Third world food markets are really interesting to visit. I can still
remember the sights and smells encountered in the various Thursday markets
in Saudia Arabia, especially a really, really, really weird green liquid
substance dispensed from a leather bag, dried salt fish, and more.

IN the Third World countries individuals get to see where their steak, fish
fillet etc actually come from. I would suspect that most do not have much
contact with canned goods.

PEterk