fire code compliance

Our archives room is a very tiny room, probably smaller than some people's
bedrooms.  Up to now, there have been no sprinklers in the room, which is
good, but I don't how we managed it. Our books and serials are housed in
wooden shelves which are built into the walls. They have a metal mesh in the
front, but no glass, and they are definitely not water proof. Our
photographs, drawings, slides, and negatives are housed in acid free boxes I
bought from Metal Edge and stacked in a short row of compact shelving, which
is also definitely not water proof.

Construction is being done on our building and so along with making most
things bigger (NOT the library or archives), they are also bringing
everything up to current code. They are going to install sprinklers in the
archives room. Yes, I said sprinklers. I realize I cannot ask for us not to
be fire code compliant, but what can I do to protect the collection from
ruin by potential accidental setting off of the sprinklers or a pipe leak,
but still be compliant with the fire code? How do you do this? Our
collection is not heavily used and I am usually the only one to go in the
room, so if a leak occurs during a weekend or something, it would not be
realized until at least the following Monday. So, short of buying all new
cabinets, what can I do? Any and all suggestions welcomed.

I apologize it it sounds like I am rambling. It just seems like many of the
decisions on this construction project were made without regard to how they
would affect the library and archives.

Barbara Pope
St. Louis College of Pharmacy
bpope@stlcop.edu