Re: fire code compliance

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:17:45 -0400, N. Ring-Kendrick
<kendrickkreations@CFL.RR.COM> wrote:

>There are now "powder" systems available for situations exactly like
>this.  The cost is expensive but you have to weigh the expense with the
>value of you collection(s).  You also have to ask, which is worse; the
>collection burning or being destroyed by water?

this is where a cost benefit analysis is a key document when doing any
planning for a fire suppression system. If the sprinkler system is properly
designed it can extinguish the fire quickly and damage is limited to a small
area.

If I am not mistaken the powder systems are 'all or nothing' ie the entire
room would be 'doused' with powder. Does the 'powder' system launch itself
or does it require an individual ie someone must pull the lever. In both
cases (powder and water) a recovery effort must be launched. this requires
that some type of disaster recovery plan be in place. Wet records can be
frozen and freeze dried later, or if the volume is small they can be
air-dried. What is the recovery process for the records that have been in a
'powder' protected room?

Peterk
Peterk