Re: Digitizing taped interviews

I had a few requests for more information on the tape to CD scheme, and so I
thought I would follow up with an additional message.

WHen you use the Adaptec software, you merely plug your analog device into
the back of the computer with a patch cord.  The computer takes care of the
rest.  Make sure you don't plug the patch cord into the "microphone" slot (I
learned this the hard way) or your interviewee will sound like Darth Vadar
on a bad hair day.  Also, your CD will only hold about 80 minutes of rap, so
if your interview is on 90 minute casettes, you will be adding considerably
to the pile of information bearing objects that you must keep track of.

I realize there are all kinds of standards and procedures to follow if one
is concerned with the long term storage and viability of such sound
transfers, but the simple truth is our institution simply doesnt have the
cash to invest in the personnel, equipment, or monitoring responsiblities
that are required.  What I have described in these messages is a quick and
dirty way to let people listen to your oral history interviews without
messing with the tapes, much like providing a photocopy of an original
photograph in order to prevent people from pawing at your images.  It is not
a preservation option by any stretch, and as I said before, all this
technology is going to be obsolete in another year or two anyway.

I think they pay people to keep up with this sort of thing....and I will bet
a nickle they make more than I do...

Kim (lone arranger and purveyor of sound for the hungry masses) Scott