Policies on image reproduction & use

Hi all -

We're just getting into the realm of providing digitized images for patrons and are preparing to rework our policy on providing both prints and scans. I've been asked to poll the list on the following questions:

1) When you provide a copy print of an image, are you stamping the back of the print with attribution information? Are you enclosing any other boilerplate language about use/attribution? Are you asking patrons to sign something upon purchase? Any examples of language used would be appreciated.

2) How are you handling this same issue regarding sending out digitized images? Are you watermarking everything you send out? Does it depend on whether the scans will be used for publication? Are you specifying preferred attribution some other way? Are you limiting the circumstances under which you are willing to provide digitized copies, and if so, how?

We are scanning images for an in-house database but not for the web as yet. But the problem of providing high-res scans for sale to patrons is a relatively new can of worms. We have our own photo lab and hence stay very busy with orders for prints and now scans.

Any responses appreciated, on- or off-list.

Cathi

Cathi Carmack
Archival Technical Services
Tennessee State Library and Archives