Re: RAIN 0727 Weekly Update: Archives (15)

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:21:53 EDT, Peter Kurilecz <
PAKURILECZ@AOL.COM> wrote:
(snip)

>Deseret News 7/24/02
>Media get look at Lee papers
>Documents were found at Beaver County Courthouse
>By Joe Bauman
>The document looks crisp, with a blue and purple line setting off the
left
>margin of the white legal paper. The dark ink handwriting is clear
and firm.
>http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,405019824,00.html?

(snip)

First, kudos to Arlene Schmuland!  I think the article shows off Utah's
care for it historical resources quite well.  Even if the journalists doing
the research on the story are clueless about how to do research with
archival material, as evidenced below:

<<    In fact, archivists were so careful that they issued pencils to
reporters. They were worried that journalists' pens somehow might
mark the papers.>>

I suppose that the "somehow might" is what struck my funnybone.  I
have visions of these guys trying to set their open coffee cups next to
the documents, too...

Which begs the question.

Holly Hodges