Death of a librarian

According to the Raleigh News and Observer this morning, one of the five
Americans killed in the bombing at Hebrew University earlier this week was
a librarian from North Carolina.  Dina (or Diane) Carter was originally
from Greensboro and was a 1986 graduate of Duke University.  In 1989 she
received a Masters in Social Work from the University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill.  She emigrated to Israel in 1990 and worked in the manuscripts
and archives department at the Jewish National and University Library on
the Edmond J. Safra Campus at Givat Ram.  According to a release issued by
Hebrew University and posted on the Jerusalem Post's web site:   Carter's
"dedication and efficiency in performing her work at the JNUL (library) was
highly appreciated by her superiors and clients alike."  "Dina was a
special person," Rafi Weiser, head of the library's manuscripts department,
said in the report. "She was perceptive, intelligent, well-educated and had
a winning personality. Her graciousness and exceptional character will be
remembered by all who knew her."

As the cultural and social fabric of our civilization is assaulted once
again, we find our ranks no less vulnerable than the rest of society.

Steve Hensen

Steven L. Hensen
President, Society of American Archivists
Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0185
(919) 660-5826
hensen@duke.edu