From: Ilana Pergam [mailto:Ilana.Pergam@CHI.LEOBURNETT.COM]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 12:03 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: 1893 Columbian Exposition

I have finally checked my copy of "The Magic City" at home (sorry for
the delay, as this topic was discussed last week).  It matches the
physical description of Dean's book, except that I did not find the
image of the Florida Building at all.  Rather, the book ends with the
"Entrance to the Esquimaux Village."

The book, part of the "Historical Fine Arts Series," is entitled, "The
Magic City: A Massive Portfolio of Original Photographic Views of the
Great World's Fair and Its Treasures of Art, Including a Vivid
Representation of the Famous Midway Plaisance."  The title page also
boasts, "with graphic descriptions by America's brilliant historical and
descriptive writer, Jos. Buel." Published by the Historical Publishing
Company, of St. Louis, MO, and Philadelphia, PA, 1894.

The introduction is titled, "Gateway to the Magic City," which is
immediately followed, as in Dean's book, by a photo of the
"Administration Building."

The photos in my copy of the book are tinted purple, but I did not know
if this was the result of age.

I hope this information is helpful -- it seems there were a number of
versions of this type of publication.

Ilana

Ilana N. Pergam
Archivist