poster storage summary (long)

My thanks to everyone who responded to my recent inquiry re: vertical
storage of posters. Most replies were sent directly to me, and I received a
request to share them. Since there was so much excellent advice, here is a
summary of all the replies:

**********
Can I ask you please to let me see the answers you find? I am also
interested in that kind of problem. We tried once to storage posters
vertically but it didn't work, it was so difficult to package them without
causing some damage.
**********
I've dealt with large poster collections in the past, and we always
preferred to store horizontally.   Sectioning is pretty old-fashioned, I've
had pieces like that, but I'd never do it to an untouched item.  Rolling is
pretty problematic, and results in a lot of conservation problems.

Posters store best either completely flat, if not mounted, or completely
vertical if mounted.  Making pockets or folders would not be optimal for
vertical storage.  You'd never be able to keep the poster stable in the
folder once it was vertical.  The poster would always tend to slip down and
get folds or tears.

You must remove the glass, wherever it has broken, as soon as possible.
Loose glass fragments are terribly dangerous to surfaces, and will continue
to produce scratches and abrasions as long as they are present. Plexiglass
is the preferred substitute, if you wish to keep the pieces framed.

If you remove the posters from the frames, it is best to have a conservator
for the removal.  There are often surprises awaiting you - there may be
glue, tape, or other material that needs expert removal.

If you store the posters in frames, be careful to have a good spacer system.
Both the frames and glass or plexi surfaces need to have material protecting
them.  If you do not need them for a long time, you can wrap and pad with
acid free interleaving paper, and space with blueboard.  If you want to
access them regularly, just space with the blueboard, and make sure that
they are up off the floor, and have some kind of tie-down system to keep
them from shifting laterally.  (Blueboard is what many people call the
archival cardboard that is most commonly blue.  Buy the heavier weight.)

If you will need to move them often, you might try the "wheeled bin" method.
This can also make it easy to move the materials in an emergency situation.
Some folks use custom made bins with carpeted sides and bottoms, others
simply use the often seen museum "A" frame cart.  With A-frames, use cloth
ties to secure the posters, so they won't shift while moving the cart.
**********
I would suggest that you store them flat, preferably in archival boxes.

Another thing you might want to consider in regard to public/research access
of these posters: We have a large format 35mm preservation roll microfilm
camera--used to microfilm posters, maps, architectural and engineering
drawings, blueprints, etc.  We have done this in regard to several archives
[snip], as well as many map projects. This permits researchers to see these
posters without having to dig through those originals in storage, and one
can also print them out on a microfilm reader/printer.  Approximately 500
images are included on each roll--if in fact you have this many posters.
**********
We store our old posters flat and make large folders for them, storing
several per folder. You can purchase oversize sheets of acid-free heavy
"paper" from University Products.
**********
Here at [snip] we had a problem of absolutely no budget [literally] for
archive materials, but are the proud owner of quite a few World War I
posters which we would like to preserve. We were donated a horizontal file
cabinet for maps, so our problem of where to store the posters is taken care
of.

We looked at mylar sleeves, which as you note can be expensive. Our library
budget has given us some money to purchase the mylar sleeves. We contacted
the Hollinger Corp. and received medium and large oversized mylar sleeves
for a moderate price.  [www.hollingercorp.com or 540-898-7300].

We also, and this may be more within your budget, purchased large sheets of
acid free paper. I know that Demco Products has acid free tissue paper for
very reasonable prices. [www.demco.com] Just search for acid free tissue
paper and it will bring you right to their pricing sheet. If you can't, at
least at this time, afford the mylar sleeves, you may want to consider
interleaving sheets of acid free tissue paper between your papers as at
least a temporary measure.  No matter what, you will need a horizontal
map-type file cabinet or shelving unit to place all of your holdings in.
**********
You might try making folders for them with a stiff support.  I know
conservation mat board is not going to be stiff enough, but in the world of
framing they also make acid-free or conservation (I can't remember which it
is) foam-core.
**********
I find the best way to provide protection and storage for oversize items is
to encapsulate them in Mylar.  Essentially, you make and envelope using two
sheets of Mylar slightly larger than the poster.  The Mylar sheets are
sealed together using double stick tape with the poster "suspended" in
between.  The conservation supply companies have materials and instruction
kits.

Even after encapsulation, I prefer flat storage in a map case or on shelves,
rather than rolling them.

Please note:  Don't use the encapsulation method on original art works done
in media such as charcoal, oil, pastels, colored pencil, etc. The medium can
lift off and adhere to the Mylar.
**********
The only way you should store oversized posters vertically would be to
encapsulate them on rigid, acid-neutral lignin-free board, preferably a one
or two ply corrugated board. All the materials can be purchased from Light
Impressions. You can get a free catalog by calling them at 1-800-828-6216.
**********
We store our theatre posters and lobby display size salon photos in
L-velopes from University Products. They come in various sizes and are
ready-made encapsulation packages with two sides open to insert the poster.
They have a flap on the two open sides to "seal" the package once it is in
place. Each year is then grouped together in a map folder (Hollinger), and
stored flat in map cases.  I think vertical storage might be too hard on
posters over the long term.
**********
What about matting them? Wouldn't have the potential problems with mylar,
and would keep them flat - easier for moving around/research. Can put paper
over poster so if they're out the posters won't fade more. Then, if you want
to display them, you'll have them matted already.

I wouldn't store them vertically, though. Best bet is still horizontal
storage.

On a side note - if you did want to roll them, a bee-hive storage system
would probably work best. At an architectural records workshop, Tawny
Ryan-Nelb (instructor) showed an example of this system. Basically, it's
tubing stacked upon each other to form what looks like a honeycomb. The
tubes should have a large enough diameter to allow for the documents inside
to be loosely rolled. I forget what the suggested diameter of the rolled
material should be - maybe 3"? Anyway, you roll the document on acid-free
tube, place in a-f tube/box, then slide in the pipe. The piping takes all
the stress, rather than the documents.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Sincerely,

Laurie Langland