Schedules and Workload

Hi fellow archivists,

We are an Archives in a University Library.  Our university is in south
Georgia and has approximately 10,000 students.  We collect mostly University
Archives, but we also collect items of research interest in the South
Georgia area.  Next year, we will move from our 900 sq ft under the stairs
closet to a very nice, much larger, secure and separately climate controlled
area in the new library addition.  We are currently exploring staffing needs
for our new archives.  I am a reference librarian in a team structure who
has responsiblity for the Archives.  I spend from 9-17 hours a week on the
reference desk for the library, not archives).  The rest of my time is
devoted to archives. We have a full time Archives assistant, who indexes our
local paper and is available to answer reference questions (with
advisement).  She also works on the photograph collection.  We have 32 hours
of student assistant help for digitizing and web work, and processing
assistance.

My questions are these:

If you are in an archives at a similar sized institution, how and how much
do you staff it.  Do you offer regular hours  (That are real regular hours
and have to be covered no matter what) and do you professionals work
elsewhere in the library.  I'm trying to get a realistic idea of what it
would take to effectively staff our new archives location and see what other
institutions of our size are doing.  If you are in a split job (ie. archives
and....) how does that impact your archives?

Thank you...

Deborah S. Davis
Valdosta State University Archives,
Odum Library,