Tuesday UnFunnies - RAIN Drop

Those cheerful "End all Government Now" folks (well, I exaggerate a touch)
are apparently campaigning to end support for public libraries in distant
corners of Washington State.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/20/national/20LIBR.html?8hpib

Seems like the $38 a year it's costing the average homeowner in taxes is too
much.

While I normally send my contributions to RAIN without comment, this one is
getting my knickers twisted.  When you consider how many services costing
much more pass without a second glance (though many of the complainers there
would love to end those taxes too), it bugs the daylights out of me when
people want to attack one of the few resources made available purely for
intellectual stimulation.

Preaching to the choir, I know, but it costs so little in the grand scheme
of government budgets to run a library relative to, say, a pork-barrel
project, and all anybody can do is look for ways to shut them down.  Given
an earlier spate of stories about them shutting the archives or library (I
forget which) in Wash. State, I'm starting to think there's a real
anti-library theme there.

It's a wonderful state, incidentally - my wife has a great deal of family in
the Puget Sound, and they're all lovely people in a beautiful area, so I'm
not complaining about Washington out of any dislike for the place.

[End Soapbox]

DS
Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu