for Western Archivists-humidity question

All,

I'm directing this to Western archivists as I can't seem to get an answer
through research and thought I'd ask those of you in my region.  Plus,
having lived most of my life in the Midwest, I'm still a bit new to this
dry thing, although I personally am now very used to low humidity!

My question is this:  do I need to add any humidity to my archival
environment?  I ask this because my archives is getting a new, roof-top
HVAC unit.  Currently the archives is on the same duct system as the
building and we get quite a big temp and humidity fluctuation, depending on
the time of year and when a front moves in.  Now it's been approved to
re-do the archives for consistent temp and humidity, although it's unclear
when this will really happen as there are way too many variables to even go
into.  Anyway, I read the NEDCC bulletin on the archival environment and
they say a minimum of 30 percent and a max of 50 percent.  So, do I need to
add humidity?  I'm thinking no, however, I don't seem to find guidance
written anywhere and just want to be sure.  With the new HVAC system I can
control that, or at least they can put on some humidity thing.  The
facility person I work with said if I need to add more than the low
Colorado level, they need to put on some additional unit or get a wall type
humidifier.  What do others in the West do?  I read someplace that low
humidity can cause damage to records.  I have a chance here to get what's
optimal for the archives and I want to make sure I do it correctly.  You
may reply off list.

Thanks,
Nancy Freeman, Records Manager/Archivist
National Wildlife Research Center
4101 LaPorte Ave.
Fort Collins, CO  80521
(970) 266-6023